Sunday, May 1, 2011

Morrissey calls the Royal family 'benefit scroungers'


Morrissey has blasted the Royal family as "benefit scroungers" and, rather unsurprisingly, has declared that he won't be watching the upcoming royal wedding.

As the UK -- or some parts of it, at least -- prepares to revel in the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton on Friday, 29 April, Morrissey was predictably slightly less than enthused about the event.

Speaking on BBC Radio 4 (via BBC News) the former Smiths frontman talked about his nickname for Middleton -- 'Kate Muddleton' -- and took time to lament the British monarchy.

He said: "Why would I watch the wedding? I couldn't take any of that seriously. I don't think the so-called Royal family speak for England now, and I don't think England needs them."

He added: "I do seriously believe that they are benefit scroungers, nothing else. I don't believe they serve any purpose whatsoever. I'm not an anarchist, but I believe that people don't want the Royal family -- the so-called Royal family. They're not royal to me, but they're royal to the media for some reason."

Related Post




Facebook Comments